Monday, May 21, 2012

So with the final stage of my trip complete I am now in the Arctic. The final stage of the plane ride took me on a trip through the archipelago which is Svalbard;

Then after landing I was driven to where I will be staying in some very spacious living quarters, my example being my closet. Even after some ample spacing of all my clothes it still looks like this;
Once I was moved in I was able to walk into the town which although is very small has everything you could need, this is a view of the main walking street through the town;
The whole town essentially sits in  valley on which each side sits snow blanketed mountains. There is some snow on the ground but not a lot, enough to snowmobile though.
Every moped or even motorcycle that you would see in your average town is replaced here by snowmobiles which makes sense. My final picture for now is of the local widlife so far. As I was walking out of the grocery store this reindeer was calmly walking down the street and apartently there are multiple "longyearbyen" reindeer that simply wander around.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful insight Drummond. Nice car line up! Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, i'm loving your blog! I have some plans on going to Longyearbyen this winter. Do you know any cheap place where I can stay over there? Those I find on internet are absurdly expensive! Thank you very much!!
    my e-mail: brunovidigaldoo@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete