Saturday, June 16, 2012

Today I got up and was greeted by beautiful blue skies and the calling to go outside and hike something. There is mountain that shadows over Longyearbyen that had been calling my name and so I set my sights on it.

It may look small from here it actually became much more of a climb than I thought. This hike I wanted to avoid my faults from last time so 1st, I avoided the snow and climbed the back side of the mountain, and 2nd I went up with a friend. It certainly made for adventure climbing the back side of this mountain with no path and just rocks to help me climb my whole way up. The whole climb up I had a beautiful view of the bay and of Longyearbyen.

Once I got to the top the view was even better and it was interesting to look at Longyearbyen from above. Also from walking into UNIS I knew it was a cool building but looking at it from above showed just how awesome it is.

In this picture I have labelled the guest house where I live as 1, and then UNIS as 2. How cool is that building? At the top I sat and had a nice long lunch with the beautiful view of the arctic expanding below me. I think my friend had a good lunch too because I was finally in his true environment and had his beverage of choice.


Overall it was a great day to be outside!


From my high view point I also found my challenge for next weekend, which will be the other side of the valley.


It also looked like there is a lot of area on top of the other side of the valley that is just waiting to be explored. Then on the way back down I decided to go down the front through the snow, which was surprisingly easier.The snow was still deep enough that you could simply make steps out of the snow and just walk down instead of climb on all fours as I had to do to get up.


It was an awesome way to spend my Saturday afternoon and I only wish I had been here a month sooner because you could still slightly see the ski tracks down the mountain from when it was covered with snow..... Its hard to tell but this is incredibly steep and it would be an awesome sight to see someone ski down.






3 comments:

  1. Great pics Drummond. Do you have to be careful about drinking enough water? And hey! When do we get to see pics of you swimming in the ocean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certinaly bring a big bottle of water with me, but you dont get to hot because on a beautiful day like that is was cold enough to keep you cool but warm enough to be comfortable. I do hope to get the chance to jump in a some point but we shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Have your own polar bear plunge, Edvard would like it.

    ReplyDelete