Wednesday, July 4, 2012

For the begining of this week I have been working down in the logistics section of UNIS. The logistics department is where everyone gets all of the equipment they need to do thier research out in the field. They have everything in there, rows of survival gear raning from wet suits to snow suits. Then all of the other equipment you would need to truly do almost anything our here in Svalbard. So needless to say it is a very happening place and I have been working in the tool shop machining some parts for my lab work. So I have been working on this bad boy for the past few days.


It certainly is not the most high tech machine but to have this type of equipment at a school located all the way up here is seriously impressive. Although the best part about this particular machine is it's name.


Whenever I see that name Luna I can only think of the sleeping pills, and of course the last thing you want to do is operate heavy machinery after taking a sleeping pill. The similarity in their names and their complete incompatibility seemed quite funny to me.
Overall it continues to be cloudy and rainy up here in Longyearbyen, so cloudy that couldn't even see the mountains. This is what the right side of the valley over Longyearbyen normally looks like on a cloudy day like today.



This is what it looked like yesterday.


I guess you would call it fog instead of low clouds but it was seriously strange and even consumed some of the house farther up on the mountain. Talking to one of the locals he said that those days made for perfect hiking days and it took me a second to realize what he meant. On days like this you would be able to hike up the mountains and climb out of these low clouds. That would be a sight to see and I can only hope it will happen again when I am not working.
I did feel sorry for the tourist boat that came in yesterday when it was like that because for all they know there aren't any mountains surrounding Longyearbyen.
Also it was very strange today when my boss walked up to me in the morning and said happy 4th and for about 10 seconds I was clueless to what he meant. It is strange how when you are in a foreigncountry things like that slip your mind, I think had mostly to do with the fact that I knew it was Wednesday but was clearly clueless to the date. This will be my first time not spending the 4th in the US and know that I think about it, it is rather strange. I think if I were to run down the streets and shout America people would look me in a seriously strange way. I will also miss not seeing any fire works, although seeing fire works up here would be truly spectacular. Well anyway happy birthday USA.
Finally another full picture of the school where I have been working, good ol' UNIS!


1 comment:

  1. Drummond,
    Great photos and even better writing. I feel like I am there with you. Love your insight and thoughts. Boy are you going to be ready when you het back to NH school and have an assignment for 'How I spent my Summer". : > )

    ReplyDelete